WordPress CMS vs Bespoke Website Design
WordPress and bespoke website design are two very different approaches to building a website. They vary in the process, and mainly in cost! WordPress is a content management system (CMS) that allows users to create and manage their own websites without any coding knowledge. Bespoke website design, on the other hand, is a custom-built website that is designed and developed specifically for a client’s needs. This bespoke option has no CMS behind it. The bespoke website is generally built from scratch. WordPress is a free open-source solution for anyone to use. But you still require experienced WordPress designers to create and maintain a website for you. The WordPress platform, powers almost half of all websites in the world. It’s an incredibly powerful and popular tool.
There are a number of factors to consider when choosing between WordPress and bespoke website design. Here is a comparison of the two approaches:
The WordPress platform powers almost half of all websites in the world. It’s an incredibly powerful and popular tool. Low cost to set up. Easy to learn. Fun to use. As well as being resilient and longstanding. Owned by Automattic based in the US.
- Easy to use and manage
- Affordable. Low cost in setup, hosting and maintenance
- There is a wide range of themes and plugins available to customise your website
- A large community of users and WordPress developers
- Huge range of online resources, support and tutorials accessible for free
- Not as customisable as bespoke website design (although a good WordPress designer can achieve almost anything with the platform)
- Can be more difficult to secure (but it is by no means insecure, the base code is controlled externally by WordPress, but you can customise what you want)
- May not be as scalable as bespoke website design could potentially be
Bespoke Website Design Considerations
A bespoke website build can vary heavily in its nature. These considerations may not apply to all bespoke websites. These are generalisations we have made about the concept of bespoke website development.
- Highly customisable
- More secure (in theory out of the box)
- More scalable
- Can be more visually appealing
- Should be faster to load in terms of website speed
- More expensive (usually)
- Generally takes longer to develop
- Requires more technical expertise
- No ability to maintain yourself, experts are required to handle everything for you after launch!
Ultimately, the best approach for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you are looking for an affordable and easy-to-use option, WordPress is a good choice. If you need a highly customized and secure website, a bespoke website design is a better option. At Primal Space, we rarely opt for bespoke solutions. They are often substantially more costly in the design and build part of the process. As well as being more expensive to host and offer website maintenance. In the majority of cases, we will recommend to clients look at WordPress as the software to form the base of their website.
Advantages of WordPress
WordPress is a content management system (CMS) that is used by millions of websites around the world. It is a popular choice for both personal and business websites because it is easy to use, flexible, and scalable. Our team of website designers in Edinburgh love using WordPress. It’s a great solution for small and large web projects to suit any budget.
Here are some of the advantages of using WordPress:
- Easy to use: WordPress is a user-friendly CMS that can be used by people with no coding experience. The interface is intuitive and easy to navigate, and there are plenty of tutorials and resources available online to help you get started.
- Flexible: WordPress is a very flexible platform that can be used to create a wide variety of websites. Whether you need a simple blog or a complex e-commerce store, WordPress can do it all. Within WordPress, you can install WooCommerce to add that e-commerce functionality for example.
- Scalable: WordPress is a scalable platform that can grow with your business. As your needs change, you can easily add new features and functionality to your website.
- Free and open source: WordPress is a free and open source platform. This means that it is free to use, and the source code is available for anyone to modify. This also means that there is a large community of developers who are constantly working to improve WordPress.
- Secure: WordPress is a secure platform. It is regularly updated with security patches, and there are a number of security plugins available that can help to protect your website from hackers. Our platform-specific WordPress hosting service further enhances your website’s security by keeping 24-hour rolling on-site and off-site backups.
- Search engine friendly: WordPress is search engine friendly. The platform is designed to make it easy for search engines to index your website’s content, which can help you to improve your search engine ranking.
WordPress vs Bespoke Website Design Conclusion
Above all, we believe WordPress will generally be the optimum solution for most website requirements. So if you are looking for a CMS that is easy to use. It is also flexible, scalable, secure, and search engine friendly, then WordPress is a great option. Contact our team today, to find out more about what we can create for you with the WordPress platform. Our full-service digital agency works remotely. We are well-placed to help any business in the UK achieve its digital marketing goals.