What is the Difference Between an IT Company and Digital Agency?
A question we were asked recently by a client was “What is the difference between an IT company and a digital agency?” It’s a good question and one that we felt would be worth sharing. As sometimes the lines between the two can be misconstrued. The question was prompted in response to us being unable to support them with something that was an IT issue and outwith our remit of knowledge and skills.
In short, digital agencies like ourselves here at Primal Space and IT companies are two separate entities that operate in the technology sector but have different focuses and areas of expertise. It would be like asking a dentist to perform heart surgery or asking an architect to build the house they’ve designed. Just because both work with bodies or buildings, doesn’t mean they have the capacity to do it all. Or do it well.
IT Company and Digital Agency Differences
Here are the main differences between an IT company and a digital agency:
Scope of Services:
- IT Company: An IT company primarily focuses on providing technology solutions, infrastructure management, software development, network administration, hardware maintenance, and technical support. They often cater to a wide range of industries and offer services related to IT infrastructure, system integration, cybersecurity, and software development.
- Digital Agency: A digital agency specialises in providing digital marketing services, creative design, branding, web development, and online advertising. They focus on helping businesses establish their online presence, engage with their target audience, and promote their products or services through digital channels. As well as web-related services like website design and platform-specific managed website hosting.
- IT Company: IT companies typically have expertise in various technical domains, such as software development, database management, network infrastructure, cloud computing, cybersecurity, and IT consulting. They often employ skilled software engineers, network administrators, system architects, and IT consultants.
- Digital Agency: Digital agencies have expertise in digital marketing strategies, user experience design, web development, content creation, social media marketing, SEO, online advertising, and data analytics. They typically have professionals specialising in these areas.
- IT Company: IT companies usually work with a wide range of clients across different industries, including businesses, government organisations, educational institutions, and non-profit organisations. They aim to provide technical solutions and support to enhance their client’s IT infrastructure and operations.
- Digital Agency: Digital agencies primarily focus on serving businesses and brands that seek to establish or improve their online presence and effectively market their products or services in the digital space. Their clients often include e-commerce companies, startups, established brands, and marketing departments of various organisations.
Goals and Deliverables:
- IT Company: The primary goal of an IT company is to ensure the smooth functioning, security, and efficiency of its client’s IT systems. They may deliver software applications, network infrastructure, server configurations, data management systems, and other technical solutions that align with their client’s IT requirements.
- Digital Agency: A digital agency aims to help clients achieve their marketing and business goals in the digital realm. They deliver services such as website development, online advertising campaigns, content creation, social media marketing, brand identity design, and marketing analytics reports. As well as pay-per-click advertising (PPC).
While there can be overlaps in certain areas, these distinctions highlight the primary differences between IT companies and digital agencies. It’s important to note that some companies may offer a combination of IT services and digital marketing services, blurring the lines between the two.
- Hardware and software installation and support
- Network Administration
- Security consulting
- Data centre management
- IT project management
Digital Agency Services
- Website design
- Web development
- Search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
- Email marketing
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising
- Website hosting
Choosing The Right Service For Your Needs
IT companies and digital agencies can overlap in some areas, such as website design and development. However, there are some key differences between the two types of businesses. IT companies typically focus on the technical aspects of IT, such as hardware and software installation and support. Digital agencies, on the other hand, typically focus on the marketing and advertising aspects of digital, such as SEO and social media marketing.
IT companies typically have a more technical staff, while digital agencies typically have a more creative staff. While IT companies typically work with businesses of all sizes, when digital agencies typically work with small and medium-sized businesses.
Ultimately, the best choice for your business will depend on your specific needs and requirements. If you need help with the technical aspects of IT, then an IT company is a good option. If you need help with the marketing and advertising aspects of business, then a digital agency is much better suited.
To discuss collaborating with us on an upcoming creative project, share your requirements here on our website.